Saturday, October 8, 2016

Life as mom...

Last night we had a home football game (and homecoming) with our two varsity football guys and their handsome dad and coach.

There was also a Ben Rector concert - 3 miles from our house.  And you know I LOVE some Ben Rector.

When the concert schedule came out months ago, I saw that the date here was a Friday night and I moved on.  Fall Friday nights are for football at the troops.  It's been that way for 22 years and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Daughter (#2) went with a nephew and good friend.  They said it was amazing.  I'm sure it was.

But we have choices, don't we?  When we marry we choose that one person forever.  When we have kids, they come before concerts and free time and sleep.

Someone asked me this week what parenting book I'd recommend for parenting a two year old.  I said just take a deep breath, drink another cup of coffee... and they'll be four and your won't need the book anymore.

I'm only half kidding.

Not that I haven't read some helpful books over the last 21 years.  I have.  But when I think about recommending them I hesitate.

No book will know your strengths and weaknesses as a parent.  No book will know the personality of your child.  Or the strengths and weaknesses of your spouse's parenting.  Or what will motivate, encourage or challenge your child.

Because all of us as parents, spouses, children... we're all completely different.  We may have similarities that give us something to talk about with other moms in Starbucks, which is great!  But the truth?  I'm a different mom than you are.  I just will be.

And maybe after all of these years?  I'm ok with that.  Or closer to OK with that.

What I CAN count on?  God's Word.  To direct, to guide, to give us wisdom.  Prayer.  To focus my heart on the Lord and His truth.  The Coach.  To balance, listen, and give another perspective.

And the older I get?  The more I believe that I'm not a mistake.  I MAKE mistakes, but I'm the mom my kids need.  God gave them to me and He didn't do it by accident.  He made me their mom.  I won't do everything right (anything right?) but God, in his beautiful sovereignty put these troops in this family with the Coach and I as their momma and daddy.  For His glory.

Not mine.

Not so I can train perfectly behaved kids, or have other people think we've got it figured out, or take credit for what they do well.  I give my Coach the credit for that  - ha!

But so God can receive glory from this imperfect mom and imperfect dad raising a whole crew of kids and trusting Him in the process regardless of where it takes us.

And giving up a Ben Rector concert to watch my boys play some ball?  Not a bad trade off.  Especially that 61 yard touchdown pass that Son (#4) caught with one hand.  No concert will ever top that.

Think Ben Rector will still be touring when Little Man's in college?

Happy Saturday.

*My filter won't let me attach the "Forever Like That" Ben Rector video.  So go look it up.  Good stuff.



No comments: