Saturday, June 1, 2019

Summer is for Projects

The last two weeks at the troops, we...

Graduated one from college
Moved two home from college
Hosted a graduation party at our home
Graduated one from high school
Hosted a graduation party with friends
Went on a road trip (I almost said vacation, but that doesn't seem accurate. Ha!)

We're home and tired and the house is a disaster.  But we're together - and it's Summer!

Finally, for the first time in weeks, I'm taking time to sit and reflect a bit.  Re-evaluate a bit.  Go over some goals from last Winter.

I've failed miserably.  It's bad when one goal was "journal more consistently" and I had to go back to April to find my last entry.  Ha!

Thankfully, at almost 46, I'm somewhat used to that.  Setting six goals and only meeting one in 5 months.

Choosing today to appreciate that I've changed ONE habit for good.   That's more than I would have changed if I hadn't set goals and made the effort.  Changing one habit is enough.  For now.  One thing at a time.

My garage is full of storage tubs and furniture and donation bags.  The laundry is piled up.  I'm currently overwhelmed with all of the hidden messes - the attic, the lockers, the kitchen junk drawer(s), the armoire in our bedroom full of kids art, the fact that my digital photos are a disaster - and haven't been organized or printed into an album since Little Man was a baby, the file cabinet in the garage...

Things that get left undone when life is FULL and LOUD and BUSY.

So today, I'll tackle one of those.  Probably the attic, which will lead to cleaning up the garage.  Just START somewhere and make a little progress for today - before camps and mission trips and Summer activities use up the extra time.

The truth is, all of this stuff won't last forever - messy or not. But these people, who are living life here and loving and learning and growing and working together... they are what really matters.  I despise the mess and lack of organization in some areas, but I delight in the LIFE that creates the mess.

So here's to Summer time, 7 kids back at the troops, projects, messes, and SLOW progress on changing habits.  It's the stuff of life.  And it's good.

I'm thankful, every day, that GOD is faithful, even when I'm not.
That GOD'S love is everlasting, even when I struggle to be kind and patient.
The GOD loves me, even when I'm not as disciplined or consistent as I want to be.
That GOD is trustworthy and sovereign, even when I have not idea what I'm doing.

So much to be thankful for.

Happy Saturday!

No comments: