Saturday, November 9, 2019

The Gift of Presence

Last week, one of our kids had some difficult news regarding knee pain that she's been experiencing for over 2 years.  She took it really hard.  Watching our kids suffer is never easy.  Especially when there really isn't anything you can do to fix it.

I tried to comfort her, but she was LOW.  Like "I can't do this anymore" low.

Thankfully, it was a half day of school.  And before I even had time to think about what to do next, here came one of her friends (who lives on the other side of town).  She came in and sat down on the couch by my girl. The next time I peeked in, there was my girl, exhausted from crying, sound asleep next to her friend. Her friend pulled out some homework and did some studying.  But mostly, she was just THERE.  She just CAME.  Because her friend was hurting.

It really touched me.

How often do I have time to just SIT with someone who is hurting?  Our lives are so hectic and full and busy... I don't often leave time for just offering the gift of presence to someone who is suffering.

Jesus did this.  He wept with his friends when their brother died.  He healed and admonished and spent time with people... He went to weddings and held children on His lap and spoke quiet truth to those who hated him.

I've been listening to several books lately that seem to be speaking the same truth to me over and over.   Leave time for PEOPLE. Have margin in your life for relationships.  To sit and talk.  To answer the phone (If you've heard my voicemail message you know this isn't my strength. Ha!).  To not only be willing to be present with someone who is hurting, but to be willing to NEED some one's presence, as well.  Even if the laundry isn't folded or the dishes aren't done or dinner will be late.

Burdens are more easily carried if we haven someone come along side us and take part of it on themselves.  My troops have been on the receiving end of this for almost 3 years, now.  God has blessed us, so beautifully, with sweet friends who haven't quit supporting and encouraging.  I want to be that same encouragement to others, as well.  It's made all of the difference to our family to be loved and cared for in this way.

Whether we realize it or not (and regardless of our personalities - ha!), God created us to need and depend on HIM and also on each other.  To live in community, to bear one another's burdens, to minister and encourage and exhort and BE PRESENT.

So... I'm reminding myself to leave time for being present with others this week... and that sometimes the best teachers are 16 year old girls.

I Thessalonians 5:11 "Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do."

No comments: