First Day of School 2011
We had a great FIRST day of school! I couldn't believe how little help everyone needed, how helpful they were with their lunches, how prepared they were with their stuff and their clothes.
They are growing up.
When I look at this picture, I am overwhelmed with how much they've grown. I think about last year. When my little Kindergartner struggled to wake up every day. And my 2nd grader took some time to settle in after a Spring of homeschool in 1st grade.
And now Son #1 is playing Varsity football, Daughter #2 is playing on the Freshman volleyball team, and Son #3 has Jr. High football practice after school.
My 1st grader hopped out of bed ready to go, my 3rd grader didn't hesitate a bit when we visited her classroom and hugged her precious teacher. My 4th grader is confident, friendly, and organized. My 5th grader had his PE bag ready to go this morning, is setting up his notebooks in class (Yay!), and packed his own lunch while helping with the girls.
So on the one hand, Summer was MUCH harder this year with jobs, workouts, Summer sports, and kids who were too big to just "hang out" at home all of the time.
But on the other hand, School seems to be much easier, with everyone growing up and taking care of their own stuff, getting things in order on their own, leaving their beds made and rooms neat.
I know the "new" will wear off in a few weeks. But they are going to keep growing up.
And Little Man and me?
We had a great day, too. Reacquainted myself with my treadmill - which wasn't as bad as I anticipated. Cleaned out the fridge, did some grocery shopping, made a few meals for the freezer, baked bread and cinnamon rolls, and took a NAP.
Ahhhhhh. Productivity and rest. I'm missed them.
Life is good. And I'm so grateful.
1. GREAT first day of school.
2. Happy kids.
3. Precious, wonderful, capable teachers at our school.
4. A break from the supply, clothes, and shoe shopping. Whew!
5. God's perfect provision through the preparations and beginning of a new school year.
6. A new microwave (last week after ours died)!
7. Coffee. Early mornings are not my friend. Caffeine helps.
8. Some extra time with my parents before school started - celebrating my mom's birthday and having one last weekday lunch with the big kids.
9. Air conditioning - I don't remember it ever being THIS hot at the start of school. Ugh.
10. The realization (more and more each year) that I can't do it all, have it all ready, get it all done. . . and it's OK. The kids are just fine. And God is still faithful.
And after finding last years "First Day of School" picture - and seeing how much the kids have grown this year?
No more blinking!!
First Day of School 2010