Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Kind of Scary

My mother does an amazing thing. Well, MANY amazing things, but one in particular. She writes a letter to each grandchild on their birthday. Throughout the year, she keeps track of significant things in their lives and our family. Then she tries to capture their little personalities, funny stories, etc.

It really is quite a gift.


Since the baby books aren't particularly up to date.


I'm just sayin'.


Anyway, one of the things she does with the older kids, is to interview them and write down their responses to some questions. Such as . . . favorite food, favorite color, best friend, favorite toy, etc.


It's so fun to have all of this down! Each letter is in plastic sheet protectors and we add them to a three ring binder as she gives them to us. Each child has their own notebook and they love to look through them. They can read about the day they were born, what they were like at 2, etc. She also includes significant world events and leaders.



SO. . .



Last week was Son's (#4) birthday, as you know, and he turned 9.


I was intrigued by the answer to one of the questions my mom asked him.


Grandmother: "What do you and your siblings usually fight over?" (this was a bonus question, I suppose)


Son #4: "Nothing. We just fight for fun."


Grandmother: "Why is it fun?"


Son #4: "Because you get to beat them up and they get to beat you up."

And THAT explains a alot.



9 comments:

jo said...

And with that I breathed a big sigh of relief. Or maybe I should be scared too...... The notebook is precious. Wish I could turn back time and have done that myself.

Lori Leigh said...

I love that your mom does that notebook! And the answer.... well... good luck with THAT!:)

Eric Fuhrman, CCIM said...

Karen it's Eric, Eric Fuhrman, from way back. I came in from work and Jo had the Mrs. Troop blog up on the screen. I like the boys' comment and views about fighting. They've given new meaning to the term "brutally honest".

Wilderness Mama said...

I can see that look of pleasure on my about-to-turn-9-year-old's face too! It really does explain so much about my brothers too! LOL!

Corrie said...

I miss that boy! But I do appreciate the laugh. :-)

Unknown said...

My 17 and 15 year old grandsons can hardly stand each other at this time. Surely that will change with maturity!
Yes, your mother is amazing! Esp if she does that for all 20 Grands! I write "Sagas" which are everything from my childhood, how Granddad and I met, and events in the Grands' lives, holidays, vcations, etc. saved on a disk, printed in a sheet protector... I have 3 notebooks, about 300 as The Saga Continues... Whichever grandchild is sentimental can have them. :-)

Quivermom said...

What a sweet grandma they have! They will look back on those notes and truly treasure them! I am bad about keeping track in those baby books, too. With my first couple children, I documented everything! Now I have huge gaps! It's one of those things I need to do better at keeping up with.

Zimms Zoo said...

That is a neat thing that your mom does!

But what your boy had to say was HEE-HAW FUNNY!!

Probably my 2 oldest don't get along and she can beat the oldest up too!

We have a broken bone now too so we could keep up with you. BB broke his toe at karate and he has the big tournament next weekend.

mom2camo said...

What an awesome thing to do for the grandchildren! I love that idea!