Friday, December 11, 2009

"Stay at Home" Mom

Today is, blessedly, at day at home for us. We've been out every day this week with this and that. Which means I'm frightfully behind. Makes the fact that I am technically a "Stay at Home Mom" seem like a joke.

We've had a fun week. Basketball games, BSF, Christmas cards mailed, dentist appointments for seven, field trip with my 5th grader, class mission projects for school, the big van in for some maintenance (and the associated car swapping that ensues), and countless other good times!

Some huge blessings, too.

This verse for me from the Coach:
"If anyone speaks, his speech should be like the oracles of God: if anyone serves, his service should be from the strength God provides, so that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To Him belong the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen." I Peter 4:11

(and yes, this is his very sweet and not so subtle way to let me know I've been raising my voice WAY too much, lately)

And the reminder (from the Coach AND BSF) this week to start each day by asking the Lord to send in each day what He has for me. And the strength to do it.

Can't say I've done it, well. But I have known that He is there, offering in His sovereign plan, what I need for the moment, the day. I haven't always obeyed. Or abided in His strength. But I'm learning.

This time of year offers so many opportunities to focus on the Lord. On Jesus' choice to obey the Father and come to this fallen, cold, dark earth to be the Savior of the world.

It also offers countless chances for unrealistic expectations, ridiculously long to do lists, overly full calendars, overdrawn checking accounts, ungrateful hearts and tired grumpy kids.

Be careful. Strive to glorify God in everything. Tell Him you have a heart to obey, then ask Him what He would have to say "yes" to and what to maybe say "no" to (when I'm not sure, I ask the Coach!). Be a pleaser of your Heavenly Father and not of men. Share Christ and the hope of salvation with those He brings across your path this season.

And in the real life moments? When Little Man eats a cracker out of a 2 year old set of Resurrection Eggs that pulled out of the upper cabinet after pushing a chair up and climbing onto the counter? When the laundry pile is bigger than the Christmas Tree? When the kids have a wrestling match or play basketball in my living room because it's 12 degrees outside? When daughter reminds me that her stocking for the City Rescue Mission is due tomorrow (and it's 8:00 at night)? When I burn the cookies the Coach asked me to make for his meeting at school? When the Coach told one group we had a TV they could pick up for donation and I told a completely different caller the same thing? When Daughter #6 has slept in our room every night this week because I'm a "magic mommy" and she has good dreams when she sleeps on the floor by my bed? When you discover that the entire front of your stainless fridge has been scratched (hmmm. . . wonder which two year old did that?), your hair needs colored, you have started closing doors so you won't see the messes in the kids' rooms when you walk by, and you STILL can't think of a gift for that one person on your list. . .

He is still God. He is still on the throne. He loves you. Has a perfect plan for you. And you can trust Him. So can I.

And my time is up. Little Man has been playing with a roll of tape and my essential oils from Beeyoutiful. I just hope he's been rolling the calming one all over his arms and not the refreshing one. Because I SO need a nap! After I play Skipbo with Daughter #7. And take a shower. And finish the dishes. And get something going for dinner. . .

Blessings on your Friday!

7 comments:

jo said...

Life is just real isn't it? Christmas or not? I'm always encouraged to hear your heart and be reminded to get things started on the right foot. Happy Christmas season to you friend.

Heather B said...

Thanks for these words - soooooo sooooo sooooo true!!! BTDTGTT. God has been reminding me so often lately that there really is someone else that can do all the other "stuff" - my children only have ME as their mother. No substitutes available (or wanted!). I laughed when wiping up spit up and changing diapers - inevitably someone would remind me that these days would go by too quickly. Now I'm beginning to see what they meant. :(

Shannonigans said...

I just laughed all through this and can COMPLETELY identify! Our lives are so similar! Nice to have another mom to laugh at the insanity of it all! Yes, we too will be making dentist trip next week, our van is down again (maintenance), incredibly laughable to be a stay at home mom when you aren't!, the laundry is high, the ornaments have been rearrange, the little ones are in destruction mode and just like you, I wouldn't change it:D Thanks for posting!

The Adventures of Treasure's Island said...

needed to read this. needed to be reminded of this. need to dwell on it. thanks for sharing it and being transparent!

Anonymous said...

I'm convinced that we do live the same life!!! I sat here and snickered because I can relate to every word that you wrote. Thanks for reminding me to "Be Still" even when the world around me is fast forwarding. Oh and you can tell your little man that he does look a little bit like my little guy! :) Hehehehehe

Lori Leigh said...

I LOVE your pictures!!!!

Fred Love said...

Great post - and I tagged you in my blog :)