Friday, April 20, 2012

A little of this and that. . .

It's been busy at the troops.  The last big HURRAH to the end of the school year.  There hasn't been much time for writing.  Except in my head at night while I'm trying to go to sleep.  Fortunately, most of that doesn't make it to the blog.

Since the weather has been SO beautiful, The younger kids and I have been going for a walk/bike ride sometime after school and before dinner every day.  We've loved it.  It's added so much FUN to our busy afternoons, even if it makes the rest of the evening a bit rushed (and let me give you a hint . . . even "quiet" kids talk on a walk!).

Little Man whined the whole way the first two days ("You are all going over the SPEED LIMIT!").  But when I offered to let him stay home with one of the big kids on Wednesday?  He would have NONE of it!  He's just learning to ride his bike, so sometimes he just walks with me, instead.  Or rides his bike to Papa's house and leaves it there for awhile until we come back by.

He notices everything!  EVERY. THING.  Every flower.  Every leaf.  Every rock.  Every squirrel.  Every dog. 

And the dogs?  He "talks" to them. 

One day. . . I hear him beside me, "Woof, Woof, Woof-woof, Woof!"

"Mom!  I just told that dog that mac and cheese is really cheesy!"

Then yesterday. . . he was paying particular attention to a dog who was barking at us as we walked by his yard.

"Mom!  That dog just said, 'YOU WALK LIKE A GRANDMA!'"

Perhaps this should concern me.  Especially since I don't know if the dog was insulting me or Little Man.  Except that I remember as a young girl that his grandmother used to talk to the birds and squirrels.  She probably still does.

Maybe it runs in the family.

Son (#1) is going to JSB, tonight, as a Sophomore to "observe".  This makes me feel old.  And we bought a suit coat this week.
Daughter (#2) is finishing up club volleyball season and getting ready to be an orphan in our school's production of "Annie Jr." next weekend.
Son (#3) is also in "Annie Jr."  Can't wait to see them!  And he takes care of all of my flower beds.  Hopefully we can get all of the containers and pots planted this weekend.
Son (#4) turned 12 a couple of weeks ago and is the lawn guy extraordinaire.  Such a hard worker.

(I told you they all like to sit together on the couch!)


Daughter (#5) went to school dressed for the Oklahoma Land Run reenactment with her 4th grade class, today.  I'm supposed to pack (another) pioneer lunch.  It has to be food they would have had in the pioneer days.

I cheat.

Daughter (#6) is flying through 3rd grade.  Laughing loudly and keeping us all on our toes.  If it weren't for her, the house would NEVER be clean.  But it would certainly be quieter!
Daughter (#7) just passed the 200,000 word mark at school in her 1st grade reading.  Last week she had two pieces in our local Christian school art festival.  And she didn't want her picture taken.


And Son (#8)?  Well. . . he talks to me. all. day. long.  And to anyone (or anything) else who will listen. 

Off to have lunch with my little homesteader.  Think we'll throw in some hard-boiled eggs and butter/jelly sandwiches, too.

Happy Friday!

No comments: