Monday, February 25, 2013

Rainy Monday

I woke up early this morning.  Five somethingorother.  Not sure why.  My brain was still going warp speed even though for all practical purposes. . . I can take a breath.

Last week was so "strange" with our wonderful school banquet on Tuesday night, a day off school on Wednesday, surprise "mixed bag of Winter weather" (where DO the weather men come up with these things?) day on Thursday, and road trips Friday and Saturday for basketball.

Saturday's basketball game ended our season.  I felt so emotional - which was unexpected.

Relief, yes.  I'll be so very glad to have the Coach back.  Not just physically in the evenings and on Saturdays, but mentally. . . in the evenings and on weekends.  No more film, scouting, plays scratched on paper everywhere.

But also sadness.  I'm learning that these years won't last forever.  Daughter (#2) is only a Sophomore.  I say "only" with a bit of a sigh.  It will be over before we know it.  And YES we have three more girls and surely ONE of them will love the sport as she and her daddy do.  But THESE days won't last.  And I want to soak them all in.

It's probably best that the season ended.  I think I ate my way through the last three weeks of it.  Literally.  Road tripping with seven kids will do that.

And to be completely honest, the comments I have been yelling at the games have gotten progressively. . . well. . . not nice.  I try SO hard (gave up on being quiet a long time ago - I can't do it) to be encouraging, but the season of officials and players with attitude was getting to me.  Glad the season ended before I got thrown out of a game.  I'm just kidding.  Sort of.

Then I was thinking about my sister-in-law whose kids are getting married - she has two weddings in the next few months.  We already have two great-nieces.  Doesn't seem like it's been very long since WE were having wedding and baby showers and now we are giving them for our nieces and nephews.  Wow.

Of course it could have been the thunder and lightening that woke me up.  It felt so good just to lie there all cozy and warm and listen.  Thunder is my favorite (as Son #3 and I like to say).

It's a rainy Monday morning.  I don't mind.  I'm grateful for the chance to slow down.  For no games this week (only volleyball practices for three - ha!).  For the Coach having a little less on his very full plate at school.  For a clean house from the wedding shower, yesterday.  For sweet times serving with my sisters-in-law.  This is a BIG family, but there are so many of us to pitch in.  It's something delightful to be a part of.

For fireplaces that are repaired, for 9 year olds who are master organizers (will definitely miss her next year!), for the chance of more snow later today.

For cozy kitchens, for The Cat in the Hat on PBS, for coffee, for Saturday Sam's trips, for my sweet Coach who will take me to Wal-mart late at night so I don't have to go in the rain, and the full pantry and freezer from which to feed the troops this week.

The Coach's first season back as Varsity Girls Basketball coach was a success - at least at this house.  We enjoyed 99.9% of it (it WAS a lot of time in the van on the road!).

I'm sad to see it end, but we are on to the next thing.

Science Fair, anyone?  

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

Cindy P said...

but.......is the microwave fixed? ;)