Friday, April 8, 2016

Time Away

The older I get, the faster it goes.  I have a harder time sleeping in and still get less done.  I dare not sit down, because then I have a harder time getting up and moving, again.  The coach and I are tired all of the time.  Or maybe it's just that we have so much going on and it's hard to keep it all straight most days.

But this week?  We are traveling together - just the two of us.  He's working.  I'm free to do whatever.  I'm not sure what that is.  I watched Netflix for so long yesterday afternoon that it asked me if I wanted to continue watching.  What?  Are you kidding me? It's not like I had laundry to fold or dinner to make.

So quiet in that hotel room, with it's big white King size bed and towels I don't have to use more than once.  I drank coffee and took a nap and picked up dinner for when the coach finished up.

I may not know what to do with free time.  But the coach and I sure do love having time together.  Traveling on Wednesday we talked and laughed read our books and I slept on his shoulder and I LOVE doing life with him.  It doesn't matter where we go or what needs to be done, it's better with him.

I miss the kids.  The schedule I printed out for them had already changed before our first flight took off.  I keep checking in with them to make sure they are getting everyone where they need to be and eating.  You know.  The main things.

They are doing just fine, of course.  Friends are helping with rides and practices - one track meet, one tennis tournament, and two volleyball tournaments just while we're gone.  My mom is helping pick kids up while the older boys are busy.  A sweet friend is coming to stay tonight so it's not such a boring Saturday for those at home.  It's all getting done there, while I'm here watching the snow fall.

Today would be a great day to catch up on my Bible in a year reading (I'm forever and always behind).  I may even check out some of the shops near our hotel.  I'll for sure pick up some lunch for the coach and deliver it to the exhibit hall.

I enjoy exploring new places and visiting new cities - one of the blessings of having traveled so much growing up.  I've found Starbucks and Target and Chick-fil-A, so we could stay here forever.  But it's very different than home, too.  Note to self, no one wants to strike up a random conversation in Wisconsin.  I'm sure they are just cold - seriously, 30 degrees in April?  Yikes.  At home I can't sit in Starbucks for five minutes without seeing a friend.

Then again, maybe I'll just take another nap and watch more Netflix.  This is rest.  The cessation of the usual and the being still.  I don't do it well, but I'm trying.  Even the Coach - who is here to work, said it's different than the office and classroom.  He's enjoying the break, too.

Even if I can't sleep past 5:30.  Which is OK, because the snow sure was pretty.  Even if I saw it from inside on the treadmill since I didn't pack all of my cold running gear.  Brrrr.

Happy Friday.

No comments: