Saturday, December 17, 2022

Happy 28th, Coach!

The Coach and I celebrate 28 years, today.  After a whirlwind courtship and an 8 week engagement, on a beautiful sunny December Saturday, the Coach and I became husband and wife.  We really didn't know each other, but we knew the important things.  I knew he loved God and wanted to obey whatever calling God placed on his life.  He's been faithful to that every day since.  And I still laugh thinking about when Elisabeth Elliot Gren asked me (when discussing our courtship), "But are you attracted to him?"  Haha!  Yes.  That, too.  

We're not perfect, our marriage isn't perfect, but we've learned a lot in 28 years.  I enjoy every moment with him.  We love to work side by side, and both of us feel like things haven't really happened until with share them with each other.  The Coach has grown into the most thoughtful, kind partner.  His determination to do right is still there, but it's become tempered with an abundance of grace. I'm so thankful, because I've needed a lot of grace!

If I could say one thing about how I've grown as a wife - from my perspective, not his - I would say I've learned to communicate my expectations more clearly.  And I think I've learned to give HIM a lot more grace.

When we had so many little ones and he was coaching two sports - I was often upset when he had to work late or be gone every evening.  It was hard!  All of these years later, I realize his heart is to do the best he can at whatever God has given him to do.  Coaching, teaching, leading... and he's learned to direct that desire to be the best he can be to our marriage and to our parenting, as well.  I couldn't be more thankful for the husband and father he is.  He never quits working to learn and grow and invest in all of us.

And without babies hanging on my legs at 6 pm every evening?  It's certainly easier to be happy when he walks in the door - no matter what time that is.  Every day together is a gift.

One year ago today, we were in Florida on an anniversary trip together - such a sweet few days in the sun.  This year we're home with a houseful and planning for an even fuller house next week.  I'm so grateful for all of it.  The special days and the every day ones.  The trips and the mornings at home.  I would love to have another 28 years of it all.  

We've had some rough years in the last 28.  But I'm thankful for this especially sweet season - with grown kids and the grand babies that bring SO much joy.  My Coach is such a handsome Pops.  Ha!

And for now?  I'm going to refill my coffee and tell the Coach, once again, how thankful I am for this life we share.  Such a sweet gift from God.


Merry Chirstmas!

No comments: