Monday, October 20, 2008

Because I'm starting to realize that this won't last forever.

Something changes when you're oldest child is on the threshold of his teenage years.

I know, now, that they won't actually stay little. After all, he's taller than I am.

They won't always need me to do everything for them.

Or to tuck them in every night.

And someday, they won't be living here anymore. Or all be around the table with us.

Maybe it's on my mind because I sorted thought EVERY PIECE of their clothing last weekend. And put away some things that are too small for everyone in our house.

Which makes me sad.

But then there are mornings like Friday, when the kids were out of school. When everyone wants to cook breakfast - instead of our usual cereal. And 18 scrambled eggs, a loaf of bread, toasted, a bag of bagels and 40 slices of bacon later, we were sitting down to breakfast. Oh. And hot chocolate. I forgot the hot chocolate.


Being together. Laughing. Having fun.

And yes, lots of trips to the grocery store.

But moments like these find my heart filled with gratefulness and joy. And maybe a little sadness that it won't last forever.

Life is good.


6 comments:

jo said...

Have you heard that country song...."you're gonna miss this." I know its a little cheesy but I've thought about all this quite a bit lately too. Enjoy. They're darling.

Carla said...

When you eat the labor of your hands, you shall be happy, and it shall be well with you. Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine in the very heart of your house, your children like olive plants all around your table. Psalm 128:2-3
This story and picture reminded me of that Psalm.

Hilary de Haan said...

I look forward to the days when my kids will have friends over and fill the house with laughter. My heart still longs for a house full of children even though my health won't allow it. I know that one day God will fill our home in one way or another :-)

Thanks for sharing! Kids are such fun :-)

The Anderson Zoo said...

I know how you feel. I have had some thoughts like that this weekend. They are starting to do so much more on their own and I am realizing (even though they are still young) that they won't always WANT to give me hugs, they won't always want me to take their picture while riding a ride at a "Fall Festival", they aren't always going to want me to watch them do this "trick". I'm sad just thinking about it.

Makes me enjoy the little things so much more.

Lori Leigh said...

Great post! Thanks for the reminder.

Wilderness Mama said...

Even though my oldest is only 8, he is nearly "half way out of the house" already! I've been thinking about them growing up and having families of their own a lot lately too. I have mixed feelings. I look forward to grandkids and Myles and I having more freedom, but I sure will miss these days. I'm trying to enjoy them while I can!

Thanks for sharing. LOVE the picture. :)