Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I'm in a Serious FUNK

Feeling a bit low, lately.

Tell me I'm not the only one who gets a little discouraged now and then?

So I have a question for you:  When you are feeling low, what do you do to get back into the land of joyful, energetic mommyhood?

I can tell you what I usually do.  Just to get us started.  (This would all come after a pan of brownies, grouching at my kids and crying on the Coach's shoulder.  First things first.)

I spend more time in the Word.  And in prayer.  I've found a new understanding of "continuing in prayer" these days.  Is there a favorite chapter or Psalm that encourages your heart?

I read.  My two "I'm discouraged" favorites are, "Tender Mercies for a Mother's Soul" and "Created to be His Helpmeet".  But I've given my last copies of both of them away, so that isn't really an option right now.  What book do you reach for when you're down?

Then there is a girl's night out.  Which I'm hoping to pull together this week.  However, part of my discouragement is usually related to the Coach's having to work more and being gone a lot, so that cuts into options for a night out.  Seriously.  What do you do to "get away" when life overwhelms you?

Most of the time, if I can just get one or two things on my "list" (the forever long list that never goes away - or even seems to get shorter - ever), I feel much better.  But honestly?  It's Summer.  Not a lot being accomplished at the troops these days.  Well, other than LIFE.  Please don't tell me all that you're getting done right now.  That SO wouldn't help!

Sleep helps, too.  The Coach always says that it's hard to be spiritual when you are tired.  He's right.  But sometimes it seems like the more I try, the less sleep I get.  I think Little Man is ready for a later bedtime (he's getting up so early!), but then evening comes and I NEED him to go to bed.  If you know what I mean.  So I'm trying to go to bed earlier.  Trying HARD.

So now it's your turn.  What do you do when you are discouraged?  How do you find the energy and motivation to pull yourself out of a serious funk?  

I thank you in advance for your help.  Actually, I think the Coach and the troops will be even more grateful.

"For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen:  for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal."
2 Cor. 4:16-18

17 comments:

Sumer said...

So there with ya sister. So blue. I have been thinking about getting the "Created" book out . . . but then I would have to look in a box in the garage and then I might cry from the looks of that too!!! Love you dearly, Friend!

Squirly Girls said...

So sorry to hear you are feeling low. Since you asked, here are a few things I do:
-excersise always makes me feel better about myself and life
-go to a rest. I've never been to or cook something new
-go for a drive/ see a neighborhood I've never seen before
-take a nap. When I'm expecting I allow myself time to rest (for the baby), but I've learned even now to take a short time out and then I feel more energetic
I hope this helps. Just know that now you have all of us in bloggy world praying for you.

Mrs. Troop said...

Thank you, Girls!
Sumer - we need to get together! I'm sorry your "Helpmeet" is packed away. I need to order more. But that's one more thing to do! Ha!
And Squirly Girls, you are right! Thanks for the help - think we'll have naptime today. And maybe something fun for dinner!

Beth said...

PEDICURE!!!

Zimms Zoo said...

I second the pedicure thing. But I know that I get into that funk when I have all these things that I feel like I need to get done and then I can't just let it go and it stresses me out until it is completed. I need to let myself off the hook. But accomplishing some of those things also helps too.

A date night with hubby. A night with the girls. Those things help too! I have also started back into the Word. All of the things you listed are things that help me too. I also try to exercise.

I hope you start feeling better soon. I need a big dose of it soon too!

jo said...

I think you are on to something identifying the cause. That helps me so much. If I'm tired - a good book just makes me sleepier :0. I do think getting away - even for just 30 quiet minutes to walk or pray is great reset button.

If I think to pray that is.

Love you friend. Miss you.

jo said...

P.S. YOU JUST CAME OFF A GREAT VACATION!!!! Hello? Its the January of summer. I second the previous comment to let yourself off the hook.
Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it. :)

Lori Leigh said...

Curious. This. I was just going to do a similar post. I guess when I'm down, I just call you! Ha!So I've basically got nothing for you at the moment. :) Have a great day friend!

Candis said...

Sleep is definitely key...especially a good productive nap! And, rereading Philippians and asking a friend to help me to remember to rejoice always!

Anonymous said...

We are having a very great Sunday School class this summer as ladies.
I am seeing that I do not really take God up on His offer of His power, His grace, His strength, His love- He lives in me, why don't I see all that He has promised me?
A new focus- I can do ALL things through Christ who strenthens me!
Let go of some of those "things" that I think need to be finished up- I guess it is normal for the list to be longer at the end of the day than at the beginning.
I hear your cry, am struggling myself- I call my mom, she says she understands, sometimes it is good just to verbalize your need for help!
Keep pursuing God!
Love you and praying for you friend!
Projects accomplished...maybe the week four kids go to camp?!

Lynn said...

Step one: Give every child over 4 years old a 30 minute cleaning job and give one child over 6 the job of reading to those under 4 for 30 minutes. Set a timer and say take your time, do your best and meet in the living room in 30 minutes.

Step two:Take a 15 minute shower with the best smelling soap you have and put on great smelling lotion.

Step three: 5 minutes before the timer goes off, pop a big bowl of popcorn and put it in the middle of the living room floor and put a movie in the player.

Step four: When the timer goes off, turn the lights down low, turn on the movie and while the light of the screen shines on each of their faces, thank God for one quality you see in each individual child.

whitney said...

The pedicure thing helps a lot. But if you can't escape away...I think counting blessings always helps shift my perspective. Sounds corny, but one of my favorite sayings is, 'When the grass looks greener, water your yard.' I know discouraged isn't the same thing as discontent, but the two seem to tie together to me sometimes.

Lori Leigh said...

Okay, so I've got an answer. Because I was in a funk this morning. And what really helped me... was to pick all the M&Ms out of the trail mix and eat them. I felt so much better! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm overwhelmed and what I've been doing is eating and shopping ~ so I can tell you to stay away from those 2 things ...definitely not helping. I read your blog and you're kinda bringing me down so now I am going to try the exercise, shower, listen to some Paul Washer online and then I'll get back to you!
Do you know how much you are loved and admired the world over? That should help until I can come wist you away to Lori's house for some M&M's !

Jen S said...

I'll tell you what DOESN'T help . . . . going to the doctor and telling her you're in a funk. All they can do for you is offer meds. I'm SO frustrated with THAT!! I just keep feeling like I need a vacation by MYSELF, but that isn't going to happen! I'll try the pedicure. Ha ha!

Lori Leigh said...

Hey~ I'm confused! Did you delete a post?

April said...

~Exercise
~Clean the house
~Try to do something kind for or encourage people I percieve to be worse off than me
~list everything that's weighing my heart down and pray over all of it
~I wish I went to the Bible...but I don't b/c sometimes it makes me worse b/c of all the killing and multiple wives stuff and how we're supposed to enjoy suffering...just being honest.
~I LOVE your blog!!! got it from candis :)