Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Because I'm all about making you feel better. . .

First of all. . . CAN YOU BELIEVE how sweet my friend, Lori, is? Seriously!

Let me just say, in the course of a lifetime (I'm only 38 years into it, but I do have some experience), the Lord will bless you with only a few friends like THIS.

Love her.

(and while you're at it, her birthday was yesterday, so go wish her a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Right now!! Go on! I'll wait for you!)

Now.

It's Tuesday, again. Which means I'm tired. SO tired.

And let me just say. . . looking forward to a nap with Little Man? Is only setting oneself up for disappointment. Because TODAY he decided he will have NONE OF THAT thank-you-very-much. In spite of the fact that I KNOW he's tired. Because he keeps saying, "I'm NOT TIRED!"

Sigh.

We mothers are smart like that.



Here's the thing. I can admit it, now, because it's been a week or so. . .

that 1/2 marathon wore me out.

Well. That and the 9 weeks of training, 12 hours of driving, 8 children I'm mothering, home I'm keeping, insane schedule I'm juggling, etc. You get the idea.

Wore. Me. Out.

And my response to my over-tiredness last week? Not pretty.

I can admit it.

There is nothing like the blessing of a husband who will not only NOT leave you, but won't let you wallow in self-pity and destructive behavior (think 4 chocolate Zinger snack cakes in a sitting). But who instead, faithfully loves you, prays for you, listens to you, and lets you get out of the house even when it means he has to handle bath night at the troops.

(Thanks for meeting me for dinner, Zookeeper's Helper!)

I'm blessed.

It seems like I would have LEARNED this lesson, already, with all of the opportunities I've had. . . but. . .

"It's hard to be spiritual when you are tired."

I'm past those days of a house full of little ones and being continually exhausted each and every day to the point of forgetting what "rested" feels like. Normally around here, we get decent sleep and the break-neck speed of life is somewhat, sort of, manageable.

Until one takes on something like a 1/2 marathon training schedule.

However, I'm grateful for all I learned in the process. The discipline. The toughness. The mental battles I fought AND won out there on the Arrowhead Hills. I did more than I thought I ever could. It was good for me in so many ways. In fact, I'm kind of missing it.

But I left some casualties in my wake.

My poor kids.

My POOR Coach.

So to give you some encouragement this week? No. I can't do it all. I can't even do most of it. At least not without some kicking screaming fits (of my own, not the toddler's - although he's doing a great job of it, today).

I'm not proud of that. But I'm big enough to admit it. And get on with it. (and be tremendously grateful for the Lord's forgiveness, the Coach's forgiveness, the kids' forgiveness. . . )

Because what REALLY matters, is that I serve the Lord God, Creator of the Universe. HE never slumbers OR sleeps.

Someday, I'll learn to live in the knowledge of HIS unending, never-failing, faithful, constant, sovereign STRENGTH.

"Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.

"He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength."
(Isaiah 40:28-29)

I may not have it all together. Or have the strength for all that's going on here at the troops, with my kids, in my marriage, in life.

But I know Who does.

Now. . . doesn't that make you feel better?
(or do I have to share my chocolate Zingers with you, too?)

Happy Tuesday!

7 comments:

kuliejellogg said...

Your "should have learned this already moment" made me think of a quote in the margin of our Bible study this week: "Perhaps I am doomed to retrace my steps under the illusion that I am exploring, doomed to try and learn what I should simply recognize, learning a mere fraction of what I have forgotten." (Andre Breton, French critic and poet)

Lori Leigh said...

So glad you liked the post. :) Even with me hijacking your blog and everything.

And about everything else, girl, I hear ya!

If my throat didn't hurt so bad, I'd have a zinger with you!

Thanks for your honesty because even though you don't feel like you are encouraging, just the fact that you are open enough to share that every minute birds aren't tying bows in your hair, THAT is encouraging.

Okay, I don't think I understood what I just wrote there but it made sense at the time. I think it's the fever talking.

Love ya, friend!

Mrs. Troop said...

OK, Julie - I have no idea what that means. HA!
Maybe if I get a good night's sleep I can come back to it and it will make sense. :-)
Seriously - thanks for the encouragement. I feel a bit like the Israelites who kept making the same mistakes. I'm thankful for a faithful LORD who keeps HIS promises. What a comfort!

Mrs. Troop said...

I totally understand, DG. That brings mental images of a disney princess movie, right? :-)
Love ya~ Feel better SOON, OK?

Zimms Zoo said...

So is this why you brought an entire pan of brownies to my house?
I love your honesty and your friend could send some of those birds my way. hehe or the animals that clean in Enchanted?
i completed enoyed our dinner and thanks for going with me to shop for the boy.
today he asked for skinny jeans for his birthday. so guess what i am going back to get? if a size 6 exists.

amber said...

that DOES make me feel better.. but i'd still like to share a zinger or four with ya! ;)

amber said...

ps. really like what you shared about HIM never sleeping or slumbering as i've been up 3 nights in a row w/ a sick baby.. and not exactly responding all, "some day i'm going to miss these times" kind of way.

how grateful i am that He Father's us so perfectly~