Saturday, December 10, 2011

Pondering Praise

It's a lovely, quiet, Saturday afternoon at the troops.  The Coach and Son #1 are off enjoying the 16th birthday gift. . . a doe hunt.

Thanks to the miracles of texting, we know he got his two does.  We've even seen pictures.

Here's where this mom has to swallow and pause and remind myself that he's ALL BOY and it's ALL GOOD.

Because I'm not fond of the dead deer photos.  Not fond.

Thinking so much lately about thankfulness and praise. . . I'm sure you get tired of hearing me!  Ha!  I'm learning, eversoslowly, to praise HIM in all things.  ALL things.  Even the hard ones.

But when things are good?

When it seems too easy to whisper, "Thank you, Jesus!"

I'm struggling.

We've been so abundantly blessed, lately.  Things getting done around the house. . . exciting vehicle provisions. . . health (when HAVE we had a Fall without sick kids?). . . precious times alone with the Coach. . . wonderful family time with our troops. . . basketball season for three. . . kids old enough to babysit (we have FOUR in-house sitters, now!). . .and a kid old enough to chauffeur me on my Christmas errands.

I'm feeling spoiled.

And guilty.

Sometimes too guilty at how easy life seems to be. . . not regarding our schedule (which is insane). . . but our comfort.  Even though recognize it as His blessing, His grace.

But I also realize that so many around me are hurting, sick, in pain. . . families coming apart and kids rebelling and children NOT getting well.

How DO I acknowledge all of that pain. . . and still give thanks for the gifts He's given us?

I'm not sure.

But the Holy Spirit keeps bringing to mind the words of Paul,

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.  I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Even when things abound and we are full. . . to be content.  Knowing that if we are abased, hungry, and needy. . . we can be content then, too.  Because Jesus is enough.

So, yes.  Praising Him for His goodness to us.

But really it's all His goodness. It's all His Grace.  The "good" times and the "bad" ones.  Praising Him in all things.  ALL things.

Maybe it's time for some pictures?

Happy Saturday!

No comments: