Monday, March 5, 2012

Sixty Acres and a Bride

About a year and half ago, my friend and fellow blogger, Lori, invited me, another good friend, and her cousin, to come down to Dallas and go to the Michael Buble' concert together on a Sunday night.

So.  Much.  Fun.

One of the perks, though, was meeting the "cousin" who was, in fact, Regina Jennings, who homeschools her kids in nearby Mustang, Oklahoma.  She was delightful.  The three of us (traveling down to meet Lori) hit it off immediately.  It was a great, memorable weekend.  I think all four of us (with 20 kids between - that we wisely left at home) were encouraged, strengthened (mostly because of the quantity of laughter!), and just had a generally fun time together.  Not to mention the handsome MB and the amazing concert.

Fast forward a year or so, and it turns out this very SAME Regina, has published her first historical fiction book, Sixty Acres and a Bride.  And I knew her before she was famous!  Ha!

I was thrilled to get a pre-release copy and quickly devoured it.  And I'm sure my family didn't suffer a BIT while I spend every spare moment reading it.  It was so good!

Now the reason I GOT this aforementioned pre-release copy, was so that I could write a review here on the ole blog.

Ahem. . .

It may take me awhile to get to things, but. . . here I finally am!

However, you know why this matters TODAY and TODAY especially?  Because you can download Regina's lovely book for FREE on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, AND Christianbook.com.  Pretty sure it doesn't get any better than a GREAT book for FREE!  Right?

If you enjoy Christian Fiction, you will LOVE this book.  It's a "Ruth and Boaz" type plot, set in the late 1800's, incorporating Texas history, wonderful character development, and Biblical themes throughout.

I will be honest with you.  I read a lot.  Maybe that should be in all caps - A LOT.  But most of what I read is not "fun".  All reading is enjoyable for me, but I rarely take the time to read something just because it's a lovely story.  You know. . . fiction.  But this book?  It will not waste your time.  While it's definitely fiction, it's also about forgiveness, redemption, relationships. . . it will challenge and encourage you WHILE being a good read.

SO what are you waiting for?  This is only FREE today - so get to it!

Happy Monday!

OH!  And if you want to keep up with Regina and her writing projects, you can find her on Facebook or on her blog: www.reginajennings.com.

2 comments:

Regina Jennings said...

The MB concert... I don't think we could ever recreate the magic. Such a wonderful time courtesy of Lori and Ben.

Thanks for the great review. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Lori Leigh said...

Great review! I too LOVED the book and honestly, it's not just because the author is my cousin. :)

And I agree, the Michael Buble concert was a fun time. I laughed so hard and enjoyed myself so much. It's nice to do things like that with people who know you, and still really like you and just accept you for who you are. :)