Tuesday, December 11, 2012

He watches me. . .

I woke up TIRED, yesterday.  The head-throbbing, squinty-eyes, can't put one foot in front of the other, kind of tired.

Between the crazy-busy weekend (our girls - and the Coach - won their tournament on Saturday!), a nap FAIL on Sunday afternoon, Christmas shopping with Daughter (#2) - only to lose my phone at Target (it was found!). . . then several hours of online shopping that left me NOT ready for Monday with a house that was a disaster and lists that were longer than my brain could handle. . .

Sleep was somewhat illusive on Sunday night.

My first thought, realizing that it might be a rough day. . . was to tell my BFF.  Because I knew she would pray.

Then I put peppermint oil on my temples, drank a cup of coffee, and got at it.

Sometimes I think we are hesitant to pray for things we feel are "small" or unimportant.  My heart aches with the needs and hurts of those we love.  Cancer (what a horrible word), debilitating illness, broken relationships.  These things can be lifted up to our Heavenly Father WITHOUT CEASING.  And should be.

But when I lose my phone, or get overwhelmed, or wake up with a pounding head-ache and zero patience on the tolerance meter. . .

Does my Father care about these things, too?

If my phone hadn't been found?  He's still God.  He still loves me.  I can still trust Him.  (Although life without texting seems a dismal prospect, at best.  Ha!)

If my throbbing head had turned into a full-blown migraine and I had spent the day resting while Daughter (#6) and Little Man entertained themselves and watched movies?  God is still in control and I can trust Him.

I know this from experience.

Yesterday, we had a different result.  A productive day, a more clean/orderly house, finished school, masses of laundry folded and put away, dinner with the grandparents (and a nephew who dropped by), and the Michael Buble' Christmas special on TV with a cup of Chai Tea and my excessively silly big kids laughing so much I could hardly hear the singing.

Grateful.

Life is far from perfect at the troops.  But it's a whole lot better when I am moment by moment dependent on the Lord for His grace and strength.  Because whether I acknowledge it or realize it. . . I can't do this on my own.  This goes for productive days and miserable ones, alike.

The lists are still long, this morning.  But somehow I'm not feeling quite as overwhelmed.

Even though it's Christmastime (and I LOVE Christmas music!), I woke up with this song in my head. . .


Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

(Civilla Durfee Martin)


Happy Tuesday!


No comments: