Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Careful where you step. . .

The washer repairman is here this morning.
Sometimes I feel like I should post a warning on our front door.
But I'm not sure if I should warn those who enter about the mess inside, or the mental state of the woman of the house.
7 days without being able to do laundry at my own house has made me feel somewhat loopy.

I'm tremendously grateful for a Mom and Nana who have allowed me to come over daily, hauling my overflowing baskets of stinky laundry (try combining football practice, volleyball practice, and running clothes smells) and do two or three loads in their washers.  Whew.

But the towels?  And sheets?  And bathmats?

Nasty.

I'm ready to get things in order.

However, after trying to start my washer for 7 days straight with NO luck, the repairman walked in, pushed the button and. . .

It started.

(sigh)

OH the irony.

I think it just needed a vacation.

The washer, I mean.

After working in our tiny laundry room around piles of laundry, the repairman might need one, too.

Brave, brave man.  Didn't know what he was walking into.

Although the "Laundry Crisis of 2011" has certainly been at the forefront of our lives this week, other things have been going on, too.

We celebrated our littlest girl's SEVENTH birthday last week.  I can't believe it.  No, she's not THE baby around here, but she is my baby girl.  Sniff.  She is a sweet and spunky little thing.  And almost taller than Daughter #5.  Loving 1st grade, reading like a champ, and plays school anytime she's not AT school.  Of course, wants to be a teacher.  What's not to love?

Peanut (Daughter #5) was home three days last week with a head-ache.  Nothing worse ever came of it, for which I'm grateful.  She's been so diligent getting caught up with her school work.  She has yucky allergies just like her momma and big brother (Son #3).

Speaking of head-aches, Son #1 got a minor concussion (we think) in practice, yesterday.  I was tempted to go in and wake him up several times in the night.  But they say that's not necessary, anymore.  I did tell him to come get me if he felt weird or threw up.  He looked at me funny.  I'm not sure I've ever said the words, "Come wake me up" to him.  Or anyone else.

I had received a summons for Jury Duty next week.  Ha.  I know you're laughing.  The Coach made some phone calls on my behalf and had it postponed until Summer.  Said he'd be Mr. Mom and let me serve.  Yay.  Won't that be fun?  At least I'm off the hook for next week.

The Coach and Son #3 are winding down with Jr. High football - only one more game, I think - and had a Christian College Fair last night.  We can check that off the list.

Sister (that's Daughter #2) starts basketball tomorrow.  During Fall Break.

So much for family time.

But that's OK - we wouldn't have had any family time anyway.  Football game the first day of Fall Break and film the 2nd.

Tis the life of a Coach's family.

And we love it.  Really.  One time I heard Mrs. Billy Graham answer a question about whether or not it was hard to be married to a man who was gone so much, traveling, preaching, and leading crusades.  She said she'd rather have HER husband some of the time, than any one else's husband all of the time.

Yep.  Me, too.

Well, the washer finally acted up for the repairman.  Whew.  Would have been horrible if it had quit right after he left.  Seems to be fixed and we're back in business.  In two or three days I'll be all caught up.

What is Fall Break for, right?

In the meantime, we'll enjoy the Patriotic Program at school this afternoon.  And tomorrow?  All but sister can sleep in while I take her to get the rest of her bottom brackets on her teeth.  She'll love having to get up early on a day off school for THAT, don't you think?

The cooler weather, the pumpkins and pansies, the mums in bloom in my flower beds, the spicy scented candles, crockpots full of soup and beans, it's all good.

It reminds me that seasons are not only part of each year, they are part of life, as well.

We're going to call this season at the troops, "Busy and Blessed".

Better get started on that laundry!

Happy Wednesday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made tears come to my eyes. A lesson God is reminding me of, taking each season and treasuring what God is about in each season of life. My oldest turned 18 yesterday, so she got a blog celebrating that, and the great God who is working in our lives throughout those years. Cannot imagine being in your shoes, but enjoy reading about life at your place! Thanks for recording your journey through the seasons of life friend! Enjoy the sounds of clean clothes being processed!

Anonymous said...

boo!!! for the laundry incident.....so glad all is well now.
we had an "incident" in our house....I am WISHING it would have been laundry....but....ours was called "Horrifying incident w/baby girl"....or also known as "Daddy left a poopy diaper in baby girls bed and when she woke up, well...she had her first taste of "solid" foods"......I can't believe I just typed that!!! BUt.....it is true........I am scarred for life....and I am not sure I will ever tell baby girl of the incident. UGH.....the trials....the never a dull moment type of life that we all now live. What a boring life we had before these sweet ones came to us...huh? :-) Miss chatting w/you on Facebook......I will probably get back on around holiday time for a little while. Hugs to you and hope your weekend is amazing a fallish, full of sweet memories w/little Bullards.

Corrie said...

Hooray for working washers!! And all the lovely fallish things that are completely absent here in HI. But I'm not complaining. After all, I get to go to the beach in a few hours! ;)

You know what I'm really looking forward to?? Having my own washer and kitchen and bathroom and bedroom again soon! Of course, that means I'll also have to start cleaning and cooking again. But after a three month break, I think I'll be ready for it!!

Miss you all!

amber said...

so glad you have your washing machine back~ as much as i contemplate blowing mine up alot of days.. i'm pretty sure we'd be lost and stinky w/out it!! :)

happy birthday to your baby girl! they're ALL always our babies, eh?

and yaY for soup and yummy smelling candles and mums and all that good stuff this time of year!!