Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Easy Meal Planning

How can it be Wednesday, already?
OK. So jumping right in.


And the only thing I have to give you is this: Easy Meal Planning. Because I'm cooking right now! My brain can only handle so much original thought, Folks.

Years ago I had this wonderful system of organizing and planning meals. Breakfasts, lunches and dinners. But that was in a different lifetime. Or maybe just with a smaller number of children.

So for a family of 10, here's what works really well for us.

On Saturday, I get out a pad of paper with a space for each day.
It looks like this:



Then I add any evening activities that would affect our meal times. And sometimes I write down if I have things during the day, so that I will remember to plan something that can be done quickly when we get home.

Then come the meals. I use the same 20 or so. It's just easier that way. My kids like them, they are inexpensive, and I can keep the ingredients on hand. Every now and then I try something new, but then I fill the rest of the week with our usual fare. Makes everyone happy that way.

So after I fill out this week on my pad of paper (it has a magnet, so I keep it on the fridge), I get out my handy computer shopping list. It looks like this:


Everything we buy on a regular basis is on this. I just circle what we need. It's organized by section of store - in the order that I go through the store each time. I do have separate lists for two other stores, but I only do that shopping once a month.

Now, to keep it real, I must say that I often switch around these meals. Sometimes I don't feel like fixing chicken on Wednesday, so I fix spaghetti and we have the chicken on Thursday. But the main thing is that I have the ingredients for all of these meals. So there's no question of having what I need or making a decision (that's the worst part - as if there aren't 10 million other things to decide each day).

Most weeks, my 10 year old (almost 11) daughter does the meal planning and the grocery list. She does a great job! It's a really good exercise for her find the recipes (if needed), check the pantry and the freezer for what we have and make the list for what we need. After we have the week's meals planned and the list ready, we head to the store. That's another story for another day. But let's just say it involves two of the older kids (as helpers), two grocery carts, a van full of grocery bags, and hundreds of dollars. Yikes. Not to mention all of the strange looks and comments.

I'd be happy to share our "regular" meals with you. But it would have to be in another post. The chicken just beeped for today's dinner and I'm making two pans (one for a friend with a new baby) so I should get started. It helps to have it ready to go before the kids get home from school.

Happy Planning!
And don't forget to check back at Rocks in My Dryer. I've already found some good ideas over there today!

7 comments:

Laura said...

Very interesting! I try to keep it simple too, especially if we are in season of a sport. And I LOVE my crock pot!!

My kids went through a phase where they complained about what we were having, so I assigned them each a night of dinner duty. They had to help plan, add to list what was needed when we were working on the menu. Then on their day, they had to help with the meal and clean up.

They do not complain much anymore!

Lori Leigh said...

I love your notepad. Where did you get it? You've got some great ideas. I try to do that also, but think a cool notepad like that would be like... so cool! :)

Unknown said...

I love your shopping list organized by the sections in the store! I just started doing menu planning and I am amazed at how much more I enjoy cooking when I hae a plan.

Thanks for sharing! I would love to see what your "regular" recipes are too.

Anonymous said...

I have that same notepad (off the dollar rack at Michaels a while back) but never thought about using it for my meal planning. Brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

Liza on Maui said...

sounds like something that will work for us. I like that idea of writing the activities so you can plan well. Thanks for the tip :)

Anonymous said...

I admire you! Your planning leaves me in awe. God bless you in your efforts!

One in the Body~ Pearl

Lori Leigh said...

Hey! When is the next installment of your love story? Looking forward to it!