Tuesday, January 8, 2008

It's a Dilemma

Honestly, I'm not used to time alone. Really. I don't know what to do without a baby to hold, laundry to fold, the phone to answer, and homework questions all while I'm fixing dinner. That's normal, People. Otherwise I start to get nervous. Because you know what quiet means - they are up to something!

On Tuesday mornings, though, I have a couple of hours with just Baby Boy. And he takes a nap. So there is some time to fill, and it's ever the dilemma. A good dilemma to have, I realize.

For one thing, there is always the work option. There are bathrooms to clean (and how divine to clean the tub without someone hanging onto my back!), dishes to do, laundry to fold, floors to sweep.

Or I could organize something, or work on the papers filling my desk. Ugh.

I could return phone calls or e-mail.

But I hate to fill that precious quiet with WORK. I want to do something I can't do otherwise. And I'm used to doing the work with the noise of children in the background.

So then I think about what I can't do when they are home. How about watch a morning show (I've heard of them) and drink hot cocoa. Except cocoa is too many points and would throw my whole day off. And I'm not sure I'm the morning show type.

I could read blogs. That's always a fun pastime, and I never have time for it. But somehow I hate to spend my alone time on the computer.

But with a good two hours I could finish the next installment of "How the Coach Won My Heart". That would make me happy AND satisfy all of my waiting readers (ha!). But that requires brain power and journal reading and thinking and . . . I'm too tired.

Maybe something more worthwhile? I SHOULD walk on the treadmill. That would help the weight issues and the energy level and it IS hard to do with the children here. I try, mind you. But it seems that even though they are happily playing with something or other, the minute I get on the treadmill they need a drink, a movie, me to read a book, help in the bathroom, etc. Never fails.

And if I walk on the treadmill I could read more of my current book "What's so Amazing about Grace?" - which is really stretching my thinking on the subject. Or I could call a friend and catch up with them. Certainly makes the time go faster. And L.L. doesn't mind the treadmill humm in the background and the echo in the sunroom.

But if I'm going to have time to myself, do I want to spend it on the treadmill? Really?

As you can see, a mother of eight has difficulty being alone. Too many options. And really, I just want the time to go by so I can have my kids back and my hands full, again.

Today, I settled for a nap.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I was voting for a nap!! Or reading a book. Without any interruptions! How glorious would that be.

Lori Leigh said...

Good grief girl! Go take a nap! :) I SO would! Actually, I would probably curl up with a good book and a diet coke. Or call a friend in need, because it is so nice to talk on the phone without being interupted 100 times and without the background noise that sounds like I am running a small zoo..... or hosting a party... ha!