Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thankful Thursday

Morning, All!

If you've been following along over at Jo's Book Club, they've just finished reading "Humility, True Greatness", by C.J. Mahaney.

I'm following along, but I haven't finished the book, yet.

One thing I read this week was from Chapter 5, which gives suggestions on how to begin each day focused on developing humility.

"Thankfulness is a soil in which pride does not easily grow."

He speaks of Matthew Henry, who was described as someone "taking thankful notice of all God was doing for him, doing so in an attractively joyful was that was infectious."

Wow.

"Continue throughout the day expressing gratefulness for the innumerable manifestations of God's grace. It's as if God is placing sticky-notes in our lives as daily reminders of His presence and provision. They've everywhere."

I highly recommend this book. Even if you read it late, like I'm doing. And miss the book club. Because it's worth your time. Seriously.

1. For friends who call first thing in the morning and make me smile. And laugh. And glad to be alive.

2. That the bulk of the remodeling projects here at the Troops is finished.

3. For after dinner volleyball games with cousins at Papa's house. Which is just around the corner.

4. For carpet cleaning which is scheduled for Monday. You should see our carpets. Or maybe not.

5. That the Wal-mart Super Center is one mile from my house. We actually didn't go yesterday. But I'm sure we will today.

6. For parents with a pool - and an offer of dinner out last night. They're brave. Eight kids at a restaurant is not for the faint of heart.

7. For a new swim suit. I'm not sure I'm happy about it, but I am grateful for it. Since it's not possible to take eight kids to swim without getting in the water. Not that I'm happy about it.

8. For landsend.com. Who offers countless decent and modest swimsuit options. Not that I'm happy about it.

9. For a clean garage. Even if it was like pulling teeth to get the kids to help get it done. It develops character, right?

10. For a garage sale coming up on Saturday. If you live close by, you're welcome. In fact, if you're my friend you can have anything I'm selling for free. Seriously. I just want it gone.

11. I hate garage sales.

(oops, that wasn't a thankful item)

12. For computers and pbskids, even if the kids are all grounded from them for the rest of the week because of their attitudes while cleaning out the garage yesterday.

13. That all of my kids love to read. The oldest five on their own. The youngest three LOVE being read to!

14. For Daughter's (#6) enrollment in Kindergarten (sniff).


15. For Summer. I know I've said that. But OH the joy of sleeping until 7:00 every day. It's lovely beyond words.

16. For today. This day. Thursday. I'm grateful to have another day to serve the Lord and love on my kids and train them up and serve my Coach and love on him, too. Blessings.

Happy Thursday!


Don't forget to leave me a comment and tell me what YOU are thankful for today!

(Daughter (#6) at 3 months on our way to Colorado)

100 comments:

Bonnie Jean said...

Happy Birthday!!!

On this Thankful Thursday, I am grateful the Crazy Daisy has such a good friend.

Have a great day.

Corrie said...

oh my - that picture was like a flashback! Such a chubby cutey. :-)

Happy, happy birthday!

Lori Leigh said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Lori Leigh said...

VISIT

Lori Leigh said...

MY

Lori Leigh said...

BLOG

Lori Leigh said...

TO

Lori Leigh said...

READ

Lori Leigh said...

MY

Lori Leigh said...

HAPPY

Lori Leigh said...

BIRTHDAY

Lori Leigh said...

TRIBUTE

Lori Leigh said...

TO

Lori Leigh said...

MRS. TROOP

Lori Leigh said...

IT'S

Lori Leigh said...

HER

Lori Leigh said...

BIRTHDAY

Lori Leigh said...

AND

Lori Leigh said...

SHE

Lori Leigh said...

ROCKS!!!!!!

Lori Leigh said...

www.crazydaisyday.blogspot.com

Sheryl said...

I am so thankful for Super Wal-Marts also. I live about 10 minutes to three. About the garage sell, do you have boy clothes for sell. My son needs pants and shirts for church. That picture of your daughter is so cute.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MRS. TROOOOOOOOP.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.

Anonymous said...

You say it's your birthday...
(da da da da da da)
It's my birthday too....
(da da da da da da)
You say it's your birthday...
(da da da da da da)
Happy Birthday to YOU!!!!

Anonymous said...

feliz cumpleaños!

Lori Leigh said...

I hope you are having a wonderful day, friend! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Grana said...

Happy Birthday!!
I guess you are about 21 now, right?
Where did the time go? You are still a beautiful young lady! Have a great day and eat cake!!
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to You! Hope you have a great day and eat lots of cake! Because you can. Because IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful Birthday filled with HIS blessings and I pray that this year would be your best year yet! Happy Birthday!

Lori Leigh said...

AND

Lori Leigh said...

REMEMBER

Lori Leigh said...

TO

Lori Leigh said...

LEAVE

Lori Leigh said...

A

Lori Leigh said...

COMMENT

Lori Leigh said...

FOR

Lori Leigh said...

MRS. TROOP

Lori Leigh said...

WISHING

Lori Leigh said...

HER

Lori Leigh said...

THE

Lori Leigh said...

BEST

Lori Leigh said...

BIRTHDAY

Lori Leigh said...

EVER!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mrs. Troop!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Have a wonderful day! What did you wish for?

Lori Leigh said...

HAPPY

Lori Leigh said...

BIRTHDAY

Lori Leigh said...

MRS. TROOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lori Leigh said...

YOU

Lori Leigh said...

TOTALLY

Lori Leigh said...

ROCK!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog! I read everyday. I hope you have a Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

I love your Thankful Thursday list! Today, I'm thankful for you and the way you encourage me through your honesty and humor in your blog writings. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday

jo said...

I love you! Happy Birthday. I loved reading your tribute from your sweet friend. Happy Happy Birthday. I would love to hit the comment button another 50 times because you are worth every single one of 100 comments or 10000 even. But its is 6:33 and the only reason I'm online is that the casserole is taking too long. Just imagine each one of these words on a different comment. Happy Birthday to a Hero!!!! Truly.

Anonymous said...

Happy

Anonymous said...

Birthday

Anonymous said...

to

Anonymous said...

you.............

Anonymous said...

to

Anonymous said...

you.....................

Anonymous said...

Birthday

Anonymous said...

Mrs.

Anonymous said...

Troooooooo...

Anonymous said...

...ooooooo....

Anonymous said...

...oooooooop.......

Anonymous said...

Birthday

Anonymous said...

to

Anonymous said...

you!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lori Leigh said...

It's still your birthday! I hope you have a great time out tonight! I wish I could be there! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Lori Leigh said...

Are you going to Johnny Carinos? I LOVE their bread with the garlic oil stuff to dip it in! Have an extra piece for me. Heck, it's your birthday, have an extra loaf for me!

Lori Leigh said...

And something wonderfully delicious and chocolate for dessert!

Lori Leigh said...

Happy Birthday Mrs. Troop! Apparently you rock!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to stop by again and wish you a Happy Birthday Friend!

Lori Leigh said...

H

Lori Leigh said...

A

Lori Leigh said...

P

Lori Leigh said...

P

Lori Leigh said...

Y

Lori Leigh said...

B

Lori Leigh said...

I

Lori Leigh said...

R

Lori Leigh said...

T

Lori Leigh said...

H

Lori Leigh said...

D

Lori Leigh said...

Y

Lori Leigh said...

....

Lori Leigh said...

Y

Lori Leigh said...

O

Lori Leigh said...

U

Lori Leigh said...

....

Lori Leigh said...

R

Lori Leigh said...

O

Lori Leigh said...

C

Lori Leigh said...

K

Lori Leigh said...

!!!!