Monday, November 15, 2010

The Memories are Always the Best Part


I can hear the Coach and the three big boys playing Wii in the playroom.
Little Man is running hither and yon, so happy that "the kids are home, Mom!"
The three little girls are out in the sunroom playing school and drinking hot cocoa (it's too cold out there for me!).
Daughter (#2) is here beside me typing away on a homework project.
My hot tea is "Sleepy Time Vanilla" and my heart is grateful.

Last Friday another football season ended, here at the troops. We were sad for the loss in the first round of playoffs. The boys played well and the Coach was pleased with their performance. Son (#1) walked around a bit down in the mouth on Saturday. Today he's already looking forward to starting basketball on Thursday.

Another football season. It was a good one. Our team improved. The guys learned to play hard and leave it all on the field. Son (#1) got to play in more Varsity games than I would have guessed. And he totally enjoyed the JV season.

It was kind of a blur when we were in the middle of it. Son (#3) babysat more than he has in the past - during volleyball season, especially. And by the way, he's the best at it, yet. We had our share of 8 o'clock dinners and tired little girls. Fortunately, I never left anyone anywhere on accident. Although I did get to a game without my purse, once.

When you look back at it, the memories are the best part. Watching Little Man find his way around the football games, making friends with the big kids friends and his many, many cousins. Seeing Daughter (#7), now a student, herself, mingling with her little Kindergarten friends at the games. Having older kids who can help more. Every year it changes and in many ways gets easier and we enjoy it more and more. And I must say that the Coach's gift to me of a stadium seat sure saved my back!

Tonight, though? It sure feels amazing to have all of the troops home under our roof at 5:00. Wow! There's chicken noodle soup in the crockpot - it smells so good. I don't guess I'll MISS football season. Part of me is glad that it's over for another year.

But by God's grace, we survived. . . no, thrived, actually . . . through another year. And my heart is full of gratefulness.

Gratefulness for my Coach - for the blessing of having a job that he loves. Even if he's ending the season with a sinus infection, bless his heart.

Gratefulness for a GOOD first highschool season for Son (#1). He's still in one piece! Ha!

Gratefulness for the memories for our kids. . . watching their daddy coach. Watching their brother play. He looked all grown up out there on that field. (sniff)

Gratefulness that I have my husband back. That he won't have to spend so much time in the evening watching film and sketching out plays. That he'll be here on Saturday mornings and can help out with the soon-coming craziness of basketball season.

Grateful.

But it was fun while it lasted!

Happy Monday!


No comments: