Friday, December 7, 2007

Soup - tacular

REVISED POST - ADDED RECIPE FOR CREAMY CHICKEN AND RICE

Happy Friday, All!


Boomama is hosting a soup-tacular today, so I'm jumping right in. We LOVE soup around here. Lots of it. Beans and sausage, taco soup, tortilla soup, potato soup, as well as the two listed below. Our very favorite thing of all is chili, but I'm not sure if chili is really "soup", so here's a chicken recipe, as well.

Happy Cooking!

And be sure to check out all of the other recipes at BooMama's Soup-tacular.

Quick Chicken and Noodles

3 or 4 chicken breasts
2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
2 cans of milk

Cook in slow cooker all day, then take chicken out, shred, and return to sauce.
30 minutes before serving, add one package of frozen egg noodles.

Turkey Chili

No one will ever guess this chili is made with ground turkey. And guess what? It's not only lower in fat - it's CHEAP! So give it a try.

4 lbs. ground turkey
1 onion, chopped (I use my Cuisinart - no one likes "pieces" of onion at my house)
2 bell peppers (again, Cuisinart)
4 cloves of garlic, minced

2 large cans of tomato puree
3 cans of chili beans (not drained)
1 can of corn (drained), or a couple of handfuls of frozen corn

1 pkg William's chili seasoning
1 T cumin
2 T chili powder
3 T parsley
2 T butter
2 t salt
3 T honey

Brown turkey in large stock pot while chopping the onion, pepper and mincing the garlic. Add vegetables to browned turkey. Mix in tomato puree, beans and corn. Add seasonings.
Simmer for an hour (or more) on low.

At our "house of many children" I serve this with Fritos, grated cheese, and sour cream on top.

Enjoy the warmth!

Here's a bonus recipe, for those who have asked. It's one of our favorites.

Creamy Chicken and Rice

4 C cooked rice
1/2 C butter, divided
1/4 C flour
2 C milk
2 t chicken bouillon granules
1/2-1t seasoned salt
1/2 t garlic powder
1/4 t pepper
4-5 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
12 oz. Velveeta
2 C sour cream
1/4 C cracker crumbs

Spread rice in a 9x13 pan. Melt 1/4 C butter, stir in flour. Add milk, bouillon, seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil, cook and stir 2 minutes until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat and add chicken, cheese and sour cream. Stir until melted. Pour over rice. Melt remaining butter, toss with cracker crumbs and sprinkle over casserole.
Bake uncovered at 425 for 10-15 minutes (I usually bake for longer - maybe 30-45) until heated through.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

They both sound delicious!
I'm going to give them a try.

Lisa said...

PS I'd love to have the some recipes from the list on your sidebar...the Mexican casserole and the creamy chicken and rice sound really good. Are your hamburgers made from scratch too?

Mrs. Troop said...

lisa@take90west:
You can find my Mexican Casserole on Wednesday's post this week.
The Creamy Chicken and Rice is a more detailed recipe - I'll post it later today for you!

Mrs. Troop said...

Oh - and we are pretty simple with the hamburgers. Ground beef (seasoned with salt and pepper) on the grill! My 12 year old is the grill guy around here and that's our Saturday favorite.

Nan said...

Thanks for the recipes. If you get a chance, stop by for my chicken velvet soup.
Nan

Lori Leigh said...

Thanks for sharing! You really are such a great cook and I am ALWAYS excited to add your recipes to my collection! These both sound great. I am looking forward to trying them out. Soup is so great on cold days!

Lisa said...

I've copied down the recipes and ingredients, going to try them this week!
Thanks so much!

Zimms Zoo said...

Of course I didn't have some of what was on the list. I am never completely together. Ha! But I think we can improvise. Mainly it was the William's seasoning and I think the corn disappeared into the far regions of the freezer. Can't wait to come home tonight to yummy chili in the crock-pot!