Friday, December 28, 2007

Warning: You Can't Plan for Everything

Years ago, I gave up on creating the "perfect" Christmas for my children. Truth is, I just kept falling so short that it was painful. However, they don't seem to mind a bit. We have a few things that we make a priority, and the rest is just optional.

Even with our low expectations, Christmas was full of surprises!

We managed to have our yearly "Christmas Lights" drive the evening before Christmas Eve. Usually we follow with hot chocolate around the fire. But this year it took so long to get out the door (I was finishing up the baking) that we missed dinner completely so our drive ended with picking up pizza for a late dinner. Maybe that's a new tradition!

Christmas Eve morning Daughter (#2) woke up feeling puny, running a temp and her throat hurt. So after stockings and our breakfast (yes, I DID manage to get the coffee cake made on Sunday!) we added a new event to our schedule and I took her to the walk-in clinic. Her strep test was negative, but we came home with an antibiotic, anyway, which seemed appropriate considering the timing!

We chose mostly games, books, doll clothes and Leapster games for gifts this year. A new BB gun for Son (#1), boots for Daughter (#2), and some new clothes for Baby Boy (#8). Everyone was grateful, happy, and we spent hours playing games together, dressing dolls, looking at books. A wonderful day.

Our plan was to end the day with the candlelight carol service at church. Well, Dad needed help getting rid of dead skunk smell under the deck (they had some surprises at their house, too!), so Coach headed over there and we switched to the late evening service, but since some weren't well, we didn't all make it. The service WAS lovely.

By the time we got home from church, I wasn't feeling too great. And it only got worse. I went to bed early with Ibuprofen, thinking I could knock it. But when I woke up Christmas morning running a fever and aching all over with a very sore throat, I gave up. After helping the Coach get the girl's hair fixed for Christmas morning at his parent's, I went back to bed.
I didn't get up until 5:00. PM.

The Coach handled it all wonderfully, of course. It was a lot of work carting everyone to his parent's for breakfast, handling all of the gifts, getting it all loaded up and back here. Between all of this he managed to call Dr. Kevin (our BLESSING) for meds and picked those up for me, as well. Then off with all kids, again, to my family's Christmas. More gifts, Christmas play, and dinner. My Sweet Parents kept the six oldest for dinner while the Coach came back with the two youngest to check on me.

My very kind brother and sister-in-law turned the whole mess into a sleep over at their house with our six oldest and their six. What fun! That was a treat for all of the kids, for sure.

So ended Christmas Day. The Coach and I at home with two children (he asked, "How can anyone say having two kids is hard?"), quiet, and me feeling much improved by evening.

No, it wasn't what we planned. It certainly wasn't what I expected. And part of it wasn't at all fun. I hated missing my children on Christmas. Their joy and delight. Their laughter. Seeing them all in the Christmas Play. Never mind how crummy I felt.

But there were a lot of blessings, too. A sweet Coach who stepped up beautifully. Kind family who helped out, took pictures, and even took kids home! A Dr. friend who saved the day. And no one else getting sick.

So, no, things aren't always we think they will be.

But God is still on His throne.

He's in control.

And I'm glad.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am sorry you were sick. We had a great Christmas, very quiet. We even went to the movies and ended dinner at IHOP. It was lovely!

Lori Leigh said...

I'm back! Did ya miss me? We JUST got in from a 13 hour drive from a 10 day tour de Oklahoma y Missouri! :) I am too tired to read all your brilliant posts that I have missed, but promise I will tomorrow... or Tuesday......