Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Got Milk?

So I was reading over at Crazy Daisy today, and she told the funniest story about being frugal.

And it reminded me. . .

Several years ago, at the breakfast table, one of the kids thought the top of the milk jug looked just right for poking frosted mini-wheats in. So they did. LOTS OF THEM.

When I realized what had happened, I was ready to pour it down the drain. Have you SEEN soggy mini-wheats? And I will admit, frugal is NOT part of my natural make up. Although I've learned a few things over the years!

Well, the Coach was horrified that I would pour out that much milk. What a waste! So we found a strainer, and strained the cereal out and put the milk back in the jug.

Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

The best part of all, is that when we were telling my mother-in-law (who raised ten children - and did an amazing job, by the way) the story, she told us that she used to save the left over milk from the cereal BOWLS after the kids were done and use it in her cooking.

Double Ugh.

But to be honest, I need more of that frugal attitude most of the time.

Maybe not with milk, though.

4 comments:

Lori Leigh said...

Ha! I can't begin to describe my emotion at that story! :) I'm laughing, that's for sure! Now THAT is frugal! How funny. Thanks for sharing.

jo said...

Ha - Funny stuff. With the price of milk now its tempting for sure. Shredded mini wheats are rough though - my kids say its like CAT FOOD!!!! Can't argue with that.

Laura said...

Ok, made my stomach churn a little. I am all for fresh milk. I;m for frugal, but I do draw the line. :-)

Jen S said...

Had to comment, I second the "double ugh"! Ha ha
Being frugal isn't in my natural strength either. I have a LONG way to go before I would be willing to strain a gallon of milk! :)