Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day (a little late. . .)

Wonderful post to share with you from over at One Thing.

I often wonder if any mother DOES feel like they are doing a good job? I can't imagine it. There are always things to do better. Areas where I fall so short. Ways I need to GROW.

Occasionally we have a "breakthrough" and I think that maybe something somewhere is sinking in with my kids. But I can't really take credit for that.

And every now and then we have a complete disastrous collapse of where I am trying to head with them. And I certainly don't want to take credit for that, either.

Even when we didn't have a house overflowing with kids, I knew I wasn't the mother I wanted to be. I knew there were things the Lord was teaching me, changing in me.

It seems that the more children we've had, the farther I am from being the "perfect mom".
There's something about trusting the Lord, there.

I used to picture God's grace like putty filling in the cracks of my mothering.

Now I realize that I all contribute are the cracks. ALL of it is God's grace. Every bit of good that comes from my mothering. Every bit of glory that we give to the Lord through our home and family. That's God's grace.

And I'm certain, as well, that we mothers are NOT some kind of super human amazing beings that we are made out to be for at least one day of the year.

Fallen. Sinner. Ruled by Flesh. Inconsistent. Selfish. I know that's what I really am, even if others don't see it.

My children certainly do.

And yet,

"My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most glady therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong." (II Cor. 12:9-10)

So today I'm going to be real. I'm going to admit my WEAKNESS. And forget trying to do it all. Forget trying to do it all right. Forget trying to be the perfect mother. For today.

For today I'm going to glory in my weakness. So that I can be strong in the Lord.

It's the only hope I have of being the mother He wants me to be.

3 comments:

Laura said...

You are such a great mom!! Happy late mother's day - tell your mother for me!! Miss you guys....

Lori Leigh said...

Amen sister!

jo said...

Your words are rich food for the soul. Thanks for being so real. You are a fabulous mommy!!! Love you.