Monday, November 19, 2007

Life is a lot of work


So much work, in fact, that I haven't had the time to write at all in about three days!
It's a dire situation, for sure.
This picture is one thing we've accomplished this weekend. Fun!
The Coach (isn't he SO handsome?) and I looked at this photo tonight (I've spoiled it for our card, I suppose, by showing ALL of my readers!) and we both said, "Can you believe all those kids?" Hee hee.
And tomorrow is the BIG play at school!
Of course, in the meantime there is still laundry and meals and laundry and cleaning and naptime and homework and laundry and bedtime and dishes and groceries and. . .
I have been thinking a lot about Thanksgiving. What should I cook? Will the baby take a nap while we are there?
Will we have time to get the tree up? What about Christmas lights - a cold front is expected.
And do I look fat in this picture?
As you can see, lots of really useful thinking going on in my head.
But underneath that all, there is Peace.
In spite of the work. In spite of the busyness. In spite of the scatterbrainedness! In spite of the ringworm (another story for another day!).
Peace.
Strange to think of that. Maybe not so much at 11:15 at night when it's perfectly quiet in my house. But from 5:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. and often in the night, there is noise in this house. Chaos. Lots of people. Often extra people besides our 10. Often crying. OK. Lots of crying. Fussing, fighting, laughing, yelling (hate that, but sometimes it's even me), talking, working, reading, writing, washing, laughing, yelling. . .
And PEACE.
Where does that come from? That underlying sense that all is well and God is in control?
One of my dear, sweet, friends (whom I have known since we were 13) tells of her mom, who died of heart failure 6 1/2 years ago, saying, "God is in control. And I'm glad."
I think of that a lot.
I'm not in control. God is.
I don't want to be (well, at least I shouldn't). I don't have the wisdom, the eternal perspective, the right heart motivation, to know what is best for anyone.
Am I glad about that?
It's not always easy, mind you.
But I'm grateful for the peace. I can rest in HIS control. I would fail, for sure, on my own. But I can trust Him. He is, after all, my Savior, my ROCK, my Deliver, my Comforter, my GOD.
Peace.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Woo hoo! I am the first! I love the picture. I can't believe how big the kids are! We are taking pictures today - ugh! Wish me luck! No you don't look fat! You look great! Miss you and your sweet family. Wish we were coming to town - but it is not to be. Have a great day! I am off to do laundry, grocery shopping, return a shirt, laundry, clean bathrooms, laundry....

Lori Leigh said...

LOVE the picture! It's been so long since I've seen you that I didn't even recognize you,... you're so skinny! You look GREAT! I promise! I'm so proud of you! Your family looks so nice! What a nice picture. Thanks for sharing! I'll act surprised when we get your Christmas card.

Lori Leigh said...

So I keep looking at the picture (because there ARE no new pictures) and I love it! It is SO GOOD! Everybody looks great in it! ESPECIALLY YOU! You would never know there has been any chaos or fussing or fighting or crying. You all just look so happy!

Corrie said...

aww! I like the picture. :-) Worth isn't a tiny baby anymore. I think I need to come see him. Just three more weeks...