Sunday, November 11, 2007

My Life Flashed Before My Eyes

One of the drawbacks to having a husband who is a football coach is that you are single every Friday night from August to Thanksgiving. I've adjusted to the fact pretty well over the last 13 years. Sometimes we go to the games (if they are close by) and if not, we have a "fun" night. $5 pizzas and a free kids movie from our local video store.

As much as I love watching the Coach in action, I really enjoy the nights at home a lot. It's fun time with the kids, no pressure, no cooking, no to do list. And usually I can get them to bed at a regular time, unlike when we go to the games and get home at 10:00.

So Friday night was going to be a stay home night. I'd even invited our sweet Allison to join us for the evening. Thought it would be a nice way to end the week.

Well, as mothers are known to do, my mother called.

They had company in from out of town, and would we come to the family farm (about 20 minutes out of town) and join the four of them for dinner?

Well, as daughters (at least this one) are known to do, I felt compelled to go.

Things started out crazy. I got the children dressed in presentable "play" clothes and socks and shoes and got the baby's food and bottle and such, and then gathered some food that she asked me to bring, and went to get my Sweet Sitter and then to my parent's house in town for some more food, then to the store for Fritos (my kids won't eat chili without them) and by the time we got there it was almost dark.

Can you see it? Me and 7 of my kids (minus our boy, #1), my parents, my Sweet Sitter, and the guests from Boston, all sitting around eating chili. Now, my kids can behave when the need arises. And they did. Eating, visiting (quietly, for the most part). No flailing arms or legs or back sides, no food flying or drinks spilling. Almost brought tears to my eyes.

As soon as daughter (#7 ) finished her dinner, she moved to my lap (as she often does) and I was still trying to maintain some decorum in front of these guests with a wiggly three year old on my lap.

Then it happened.

She let the biggest toot you've ever heard (or so it seemed) escape from her little body.

Right there.

On my lap.

In front of the company.

Truly, folks, I wanted to crawl under the table.

I managed to compose myself, and keep the other children from losing it completely. Whew.

I suppose this is just a consequence of having precious, Godly parents who have precious, Godly friends come visit.

And me feeling compelled to answer when my mother calls!

2 comments:

Lori Leigh said...

Oh, Dear, Heavens! HA! People have been known in my house to say upon the occasion of flatulance "Watch out, I just heard a Colorado Barking Spider!" It really seems to lighten things up. Ha! Thanks for sharing!

Lori Leigh said...

I too am I daughter who feels compelled to go. :) I hope you have a great day!